PUSD Transfer Policies

Inter-District Transfers

The schools of this district shall be operated for the benefit of the children residing in the district with such exceptions as are permitted by law and District policy. The Board of Education may enter into inter-district transfer agreements with other school districts regarding the enrollment of non-resident students only when specific ‘Categories of Eligible Non-resident Students’ and ‘Limitations of Inter-district Transfer’ conditions are met as defined in Board Policy and Administrative Regulations (BP/AR 5117). The specific priority categories and limitations may be reviewed on AR 5117.

2022-23 School Year – We have space availability in 1st , 3rd, and 4thgrades ONLY

2023-24 School Year – District of Residence Approved Applications will be accepted after March 1, 2023

  1. 1. Contact your school district of residence and complete an Inter District permit. Your district of residence may require additional items and/or an in-person visit. Please speak with your district about their requirements. An Inter District Permit from your school district of residence is required even if your child is not enrolled in the  school district.


  1. 2. Submit the form to your district of residence first. Once approved, please request a copy of the form and submit it to PUSD for consideration. (District Office, Care of Sylvia Flores Eggert, 760 Magnolia Avenue, Piedmont, CA 94611 or by email to transfers@piedmont.k12.ca.us)

Inter-District permits are required for students residing outside of Piedmont City limits, who wish to attend a school in Piedmont Unified School District.

To obtain an Inter-District permit, please visit your district of residence for their specific Inter-District permit form. (Alameda County Residents can use the Inter-district Transfer Request Form provided by the Alameda County Office of Education, see page 2 for required documents and Terms and Conditions)

Your district of residence will need to approve the permit before it can be submitted to PUSD. Once we have received your approved permit, you will receive a decision as quickly as possible, along with next steps.

Inter-District permit requests are approved based on space availability and the following priorities in BP/AR 5117:

1st Priority: Parents Constructing or Remodeling a Home in Piedmont

2nd Priority: High School Juniors and Seniors Who Have Moved Out of the District

3rd Priority: Children of Piedmont Unified School District Employees

4th Priority: Children of the City of Piedmont Government Employees

5th Priority: Children of the Piedmont Education Foundation (PEF) Director

6th Priority: Children Residing on Calvert Court and Oakland Parcels on Somerset Road

7 th Priority: Residences on Approved Split Parcel Properties with any portion of the residence on the Piedmont Parcel

8th Priority: GrandParent – Grandchild of an Individual(s) who lives within the boundaries of PUSD

9th Priority: Approved Split Parcels with Oakland Address and Adjoining Minor Piedmont Parcel

10 th Priority: All Other Applicants

The District reserves the right to close the application period at any time it determines that it has received more applications than spaces that are available.

Failure to adhere to the timelines will be deemed an abandonment of the request

PUSD processes Inter-district Transfer Requests as follows:

  • Future Year requests will receive a final decision no later than 14 days after the start of instruction in the new school year (Education Code 46600.2)

The Superintendent reserves the right to revoke any inter-district transfer agreement at any time. Students who live outside Piedmont and are authorized to transfer from another school district to the PUSD must arrange for their paperwork to be transferred to the Office of the Superintendent for review.

The Board of Education may enter into inter-district transfer agreements for the transfer of resident students to other districts when the student’s needs cannot be met by the programs of the Piedmont Unified School District.

Additional Questions can be made to transfers@piedmont.k12.ca.us

Inter-District Permits Out of Piedmont Unified School District

Students wishing to attend a public school outside of Piedmont Unified School District must complete the Inter-District Transfer Permit and submit it to Piedmont Unified School District (District Office, Care of Sylvia Flores Eggert, 760 Magnolia Avenue, Piedmont, CA 94611 or by email to )


Intra-district Transfers

Intra-district transfers in Piedmont may take place between the three elementary schools and also between the Piedmont High School and Millennium High School. At the elementary level, a Request Form for Intra-District Transfer is available from the Superintendent’s Office and the school Principal’s office. The form should be completed and returned to the school principal’s office that serves the zone in which the student lives. For intra-district transfers at the high school level, please contact the site administrator.

The Board of Education has the authority to maintain appropriate racial and ethnic balances among district schools and shall take such balances into account in approving or denying intra-district transfer applications.

A student may be assigned to a school or program if the student requires a legally mandated program or accommodation which is available at that school or program. A student may be assigned to a school or program for disciplinary reasons or for the protection of the health and safety of that student or other students or employees of the district.

Only material shown on this official Piedmont Unified School District web site is approved by the District. The District is not responsible for information placed on other web sites not established by the District that may relate to our schools or students.