PUSD Superintendent Randall Booker Accepts New Position in San Mateo

Friday, May 13th, 2022 - Posted in All District News District Communications Latest Announcements

After 19 years with PUSD and the past seven as Superintendent, Randall Booker announced he will be leaving to take the superintendent position at San Mateo Union High School District effective July 1st. Below are letters from Booker and from the PUSD School Board sent May 13……

Dear PUSD Community,

I am writing to share the news that I accepted the position of Superintendent of the San Mateo Union High School District effective July 1, 2022.

For me, this is bittersweet, as I have been privileged to work in the Piedmont schools for 19 years.  Here, my extraordinary colleagues continually innovate to improve education for one and all.  Together, we have kept a steady focus on enhancing educational opportunities and preparing students for the future.  We have modernized curricula and facilities and developed critical programs for student wellness.  We have risen to the many challenges presented by repeated cuts in State education funding, a sea change in educational technology, and a global pandemic.  I am deeply proud of our work together.  At the same time, I am thrilled for the professional opportunities in the San Mateo Union District, where I attended elementary, intermediate and high school.  In many ways, my career in education is coming full-circle.

On a personal level, I want to express my gratitude as a parent for the wonderful education provided to my two sons, Aidan and Christian.  As an educator and administrator, I had countless reasons to take pride in the caliber and compassion of our staff.  As a parent, I had the opportunity to see our staff and our programs from a different vantage point, and my appreciation only deepened.  It has indeed been a privilege for the Booker family to be part of the PUSD family.

I am working with the Board of Education to ensure a smooth transition and the Board will follow-up with staff about the next steps with regard to District leadership.

With gratitude and best wishes,

Randall Booker

Dear PUSD Community,

With gratitude for almost 20 years of service to our community, the Piedmont Unified School District Board has accepted the resignation of Superintendent Randy Booker. Effective July 1, 2022, he will be the new superintendent for San Mateo Union High School District. Randy grew up in Burlingame, attended Burlingame schools, and will now be a returning alumnus, serving the community that launched him. His last day in our District will be June 30, 2022.

Randy’s optimism and belief in the power of education sustain his work and are exemplified by the following excerpt from the letter he wrote at the start of the 2020-21 academic year:  “It is the educator that inspires all of us to think critically, partner collaboratively, express creatively, and communicate broadly. Students need these skills now more than ever. Teaching is the greatest act of optimism against a backdrop of challenging times across our country.” That recognition of what teaching brings to our community and beyond is what has informed so much of Randy’s approach to leadership, management, and day-to-day operations.

On behalf of previous board members, our educational community, and ourselves, we thank Randy for his hard work, advocacy, perseverance, and unwavering commitment to placing students at the heart of all his decisions. To the board, he has been a reliable and candid advisor, sounding board, and partner. He has served Piedmont for almost two decades with honor and integrity and we are grateful for the opportunity to have worked with him and learned from him. We wish Randy all the very best on this next part of his professional adventure.

In terms of next steps, the board will provide additional information on the Superintendent search at our next meeting on May 25.  The board intends to do a nationwide search and will engage the community to gather their valuable insight.  If you have any questions, please contact Board President Cory Smegal at csmegal@piedmont.k12.ca.us, or Brian Killgore at bkillgore@piedmont.k12.ca.us.

Sincerely,

Piedmont Board of Education

Cory Smegal, President

Megan Pillsbury, Vice President

Veronica Anderson Thigpen

Hilary Cooper

Amal Smith

At the Board’s May 25th meeting, Board President, Cory Smegal provided a timeline for the Superintendent search process. The Board will name an external Interim Superintendent prior to July 1, to serve over the 2022-23 school year. Over the summer, the Board will select a Superintendent search firm to coordinate the search process. Stakeholder meetings will take place in the fall to gather input from students, staff, families and the community. The Superintendent position will be posted in the winter with interviews to take place in the winter/spring. PUSD’s next Superintendent will be named in the spring and will assume their new position on July 1, 2023.

Only material shown on this official Piedmont Unified School District web site is approved by the District. The District is not responsible for information placed on other web sites not established by the District that may relate to our schools or students.