Superintendent’s Message – Feb. 3rd – Outdoor Masking

Thursday, February 17th, 2022 - Posted in COVID

February 3rd, 2022

Dear PUSD Families,

At the January 26th Board Meeting, I announced changes to the District’s outdoor mask requirement. In addition to lifting the requirement for outdoor PE activities, I also announced that COVID conditions in Piedmont would be evaluated this week, and if positive cases continued to show significant decline, I would lift the outdoor mask requirement for all students and staff at all grade levels. As of today, I believe the numbers are trending in the right direction and I am announcing the lifting of the requirement effective Monday, February 7th. 

While this decision will be met with joy and relief by a portion of our population, it will also be met with anxiety by another. There are a few points and procedures I would like to remind our students and families of:

• There is no change to the mandate requiring masks while indoors – this is a state mandate of which the District has no authority to lift or modify.
  • While the outdoor mask requirement is being lifted, students wishing to continue wearing a mask outside are absolutely permitted and encouraged to do so.
  • Being outdoors is not a guarantee against transmission of COVID. Students are still recommended to distance and avoid close contact whenever possible.

While the outdoor mask requirement is lifted, I am requiring that middle school students wear their masks while lined up to receive their meals at brunch/lunch for their protection and that of our Food Service staff and volunteers. For elementary students, I am recommending students put their masks on while lined up to return to their classrooms at the beginning of the day and following recess, lunch, or other activities. 

It has been a challenging six months, but the results have been one of the highest vaccination rates among school districts in the country and what I believe is a safe educational environment despite the circumstances. I thank you all for your cooperation and support. Please contact my office with any questions.

Sincerely,

Randall Booker

Superintendent

Only material shown on this official Piedmont Unified School District web site is approved by the District. The District is not responsible for information placed on other web sites not established by the District that may relate to our schools or students.