Welcome Back to Piedmont Unified!

Superintendent’s Letter to Families:  Welcome to the 2017-18 School Year

August 15, 2017

Dear PUSD families,

Welcome to the 2017-18 school year!  I hope your students had a very positive, engaging first day of school.

Today I visited each school site and nearly every classroom, as I do every year on the first day of school.  This is always a very exciting day, as teachers at every level are eager to welcome students and get to work.  At the elementary schools, I helped to welcome our new kindergartners and their families to our extended day program.  At Piedmont Middle School, I joined the 6th graders at the Rec Department for their welcome back donuts.  At Piedmont and Millennium High Schools, students were reconnecting with friends and comparing class schedules.  Once in class, students were welcomed by teachers and engaged in a variety of writing activities.

The District’s ultimate goal is to provide an extraordinary education for all students, and we are always striving for continuous improvement.  Together, we work to: keep curriculum and instruction relevant; promote engagement, critical thinking, and inquiry; and provide a safe, appropriate, and inclusive learning environment.  (For the comprehensive list of goals and action items for the 2017-18 school year, see:  www.goo.gl/BdqUyT)  Even over the summer, many educators come together for professional development workshops and for reflection on instructional strategies, to supplement the training and common planning time they have throughout the school year.

I’d like to thank our educators and staff for their dedication and all that they do on behalf of our students.  I’d also like to thank the many school support groups, families, and volunteers who partner with the District on initiatives that, directly or indirectly, benefit our students.

The theme for this school year is Build Up, and I welcome your thoughts and suggestions on how we can best build up a strong, supportive, inclusive, collaborative community to:

• support the academic, social, and emotional needs of our students, and
  • promote a culture of kindness and compassion.

The District will use social media to highlight some of these efforts.  Please look for Twitter and Instagram posts throughout the year at #PUSDBuildUp for news, highlights, and information.

If you’d like to learn more about District initiatives, ask questions, or provide feedback, please join me for one of the upcoming school site coffees.  All of these will be Wednesdays at 9:00 am:

• August 30, Beach Elementary, 100 Lake Avenue
  • September 20, Havens Elementary, 323 Highland Avenue
  • October 4, Wildwood Elementary, 301 Wildwood Avenue
  • October 18, Piedmont Middle School, 740 Magnolia Avenue
  • November 1, Piedmont High School, 800 Magnolia Avenue
  • November 15, Millennium High School, 760 Magnolia Avenue

If you’d like to get involved in the District’s annual process of developing and refining goals, and articulating an action plan to achieve those goals, please join us for all or any of the following meetings at the Piedmont High School Student Center:

• September 25, 3:45 to 5:15
  • October 30, 3:45 to 5:15
  • November 27, 3:45 to 5:15
  • November 29,  7:00 – 8:30 pm
  • February 5, 3:45 to 5:15
  • February 7,  7:00 – 8:30 pm
  • March 5, 3:45 to 5:15
  • April 10, 3:45 to 5:15
  • April 16,  7:00 – 8:30 pm

I welcome your questions and comments at any time, so please don’t hesitate to contact me at rbooker@piedmont.k12.ca.us

Sincerely,

Randall Booker

Superintendent of the Piedmont Unified School District