Connected Learning in Action: Debbi Hill and Membean

In this continuing series, teachers working with students in the Connected Learning 1:1 program share how they use the tools to impact student learning.

Connected Learning coach Debbi Hill champions the adaptive and personalized vocabulary service Membean

Below is an email sent by Connected Learning coach Debbi Hill to PHS staff about the personalized vocabulary service Membean students access from their Chromebooks.  The service is free for individuals, so if you are curious check it out yourself at membean.com!

I LOVE Membean.

Not only because it shrinks my vocabulary lesson planning & grading, but because it is designed based on current learning research AND it is personalized to students in terms of skill level, learning style and preference, pace, and more. It automatically gives you SO MUCH data about each student’s progress: words learned, patterns of mislearning, time spent “training,” and more… I could go on and on. Oh, and the kids like it, too!!

Also, the staff at Membean are super-responsive to both teacher and student questions. Just last night, after asking for suggestions on two ways I want to expand my usage this year (1. Having students use their training data to make specific goals for improvement 2. Ideas for using their slick “Rootcast” podcasts for whole class activities) I got a detailed email back in a few hours with several on-point suggestions.

Do you hear my enthusiasm for this product? I was SO happy that the district is paying for us to use Membean again this year. I’m going to have my students use it all year. I hope that we ALL have our students use it – even if it’s just for one quarter or semester. (I think you and your students will get hooked!)

Sign up and give it a try! Watch the intro video. I highly recommend that you “Train like a student” to see how it calibrates your word knowledge when you first use it, then introduces how the training sessions work.

Cheers,

~Debbi