Curriculum Forum Committee
The Piedmont Unified School District has established a Curriculum Forum Committee comprised of teachers, administrators, students, parents, and board members. Each school site council identifies two parents to serve as representatives on the committee. All interested community members are encouraged to attend committee meetings and will have opportunity to provide input, to the committee, at each meeting. Meeting dates, agendas, and meeting recaps are posted. Agendas and meeting notices are provided in school site newsletters one week in advance of each meeting.
Topics that are addressed by the Curriculum Forum Committee include:
- Issues related to current and previous curriculum cycles.
- State curriculum and content standards, and local efforts to align with these changing state requirements, including textbook adoptions.
- PUSD course offerings, throughout elementary, middle, and high school programs, including distinctive pathways designed to ensure that each student’s particular educational needs and capabilities are adequately served.
- Differentiation activities, including enrichment and GATE for higher-achieving students, delivery of a rich and appropriately challenging program to typical students, and efforts to meet special education and English-language needs when appropriate.
Purpose of the K-12 Curriculum Forum Committee:
- Promote reflection and inquiry that supports student learning and continuous improvement.
- Foster a K-12 perspective.
- Support a vision of academic growth and achievement toward high academic standards.
- Support engaging and communicating with the broad educational community (e.g. teachers, school personnel, parents, administrators, community members, and students).
- Respectful to the expertise and perspective of all participants (teachers, school personnel, parents, administrators, community members, and students).
- Build upon the role of each site council as key contributors to the curriculum review process.
- Advise not decide.
How the committee functions:
- We work as a team with administrators, teachers, parents, and students.
- We review the analysis and discussions from the site level, then expand to district wide analysis and discussion.
- We collect and analyze relevant data as needed to evaluate the effectiveness of our program.
- We determine the relative strengths and weaknesses of the program and identify opportunities for continuous improvement.
- We determine the strategic goals and criteria to be used in making final recommendations and decision.
- We identify a range of possible actions or changes which could help to improve the program.
- We evaluate the pros and cons of each alternative in light of our guiding principles, strategic goals, and resources.
- We collect representative input from administrators, teachers, parents, and students regarding options.
- Our educators make the final presentation and recommendations to the Board of Education.
- Our Board of Education makes the final decision on changes to program.
Curriculum Forum Committee Meeting Dates 2012-2013
All Meetings 3:30-5:00 pm in Piedmont High School Student Center
November 8, 2012
February 28, 2013
May 16, 2013
Curriculum Forum Committee Meeting Dates 2011-2012
November 10, 2011 – Agenda
March 15, 2012 – Agenda
May 3, 2012 – Agenda
Curriculum Forum Committee Meeting Dates 2010-2011
November 4, 2010 – Agenda | Add’l Info: English Laguage Surveys – Beach | Havens | Wildwood | PMS | PHS; English Language Survey Summaries - Beach | Havens | Wildwood | PMS | PHS; UC Analytical Writing | SAT Scores | STAR ELA | AP English | Focus of Curriculum Forum
Curriculum Forum Committee Meeting Dates 2009-2010